This is a meme created by Sky @ Further Up and Further In. It’s to get to know your characters better.
1) What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it?
I’m choosing my character Nakoma, the main character of my novel. She doesn’t use her family’s last name because she is breaking her ties with them. I chose the name Nakoma for her because it means great warrior, which is her personality. It also sounds like a gypsy-ish name, as she was a gypsy as a child.
There is some controversy about whether or not you should choose your character’s name based on their personality or not, because since their parents supposedly gave them that name, they wouldn’t know how their child would turn out to be. Personally, I spend a lot of time on finding right names that sound perfect and go with them.
2) How old are they, and when were they born?
Nakoma is about 15 or 16. Her birthday is November 29.
3) Describe their physical appearance.
Nakoma has black feathery hair, purple eyes, pale skin, and is very angular. Her appearance makes her an outcast. She also has a tattoo of a diamond behind her right ear.
(Bonus questions: 1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity? 2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!)
She is European of some kind, although it’s not clear. I was thinking partially Italian/German/English.
I found a picture online:
4) Describe your character’s personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences.
Ooh, tricky… I’d have to say: unique. I know it’s kind of broad, but she is very unique. And special.
5) What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc?
“Roar” by Katy Perry
“Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson
“A Place in This World” by Taylor Swift
6) Which one of the seven deadly sins describes your character?
7) If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be?
8) What is their favorite word?
I have no clue…
9) Who’s one person they really miss? (It could be someone who’s passed away, or someone they’re not close to anymore, or someone who’s moved away.)
Her mother, and eventually her friends Silas and Daisy.
10) What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?
Mom: Open land, traveling, cooking
Silas: hugs, kisses, the forest
Daisy: the sight of Daisy, Crimson Rising, knife
I’m done! This was a fun post; I got to really get to know Nakoma.